Rewriting a Tale

Ki Ora

We are trying to change a story from 3rd person / narrator to 1st person. We had to:

• Choose a fairy tale we know well so we can rewrite it.
  • Brainstorm a fairy tale from another character such as the bad guy to see his point of view.
  • Add words to describe my character Giant – Hungry, angry, tall, scary, buff.
  • Add the pronouns I need to use for 1st person perspective – I, we, me, my, our.
  • Check we have the main events from the story and number in order to remind me to use paragraphs.
  • Then we had to write the open paragraph.

Here is my first paragraph:

I was eating peacefully up in my castle until i heard something I haven’t heard in years. It was a human! It’s been forever since I’ve seen a human. He was disturbing my peace and invading my house. I warned him once but he still continued to search my castle. I told him again  to go away but that made him scream. His screaming was so loud it hurt my ears and that’s when I decided to chase him out of here. I chased everywhere in the house but he just wouldn’t go away. Then I finally chased him out of my castle and to my surprise I saw a gigantic beanstalk that was attached to my castle. I was determined to make sure he was gone for good so I followed him down the beanstalk. When all of a sudden I slipped and fell to my death.

I found that using the bad guys point of view was interesting and because we never get to hear his side of the story.

One thought on “Rewriting a Tale

1. Hi Mia, LOVE IT. You are so right we don’t often hear the giant’s point of view. You could add more to what the giant had been up to before he heard the human. Did his life look like another, working in the garden, going to the office? This would help us relate even more to the giant.